Friday, January 25, 2013

Family Dinner Conversation Starters

Take dinner conversation beyond "how was your day?" and expand it to fun topics that will bring your family closer and help you learn more about one another. A while ago I saw a few posts on Pinterest about dinner time questions and I thought it was a brilliant idea! I created a bunch of questions and put them in a jar on the table. My family loves it, we end up sitting at the table long after the food is gone and it didn't take us long to burn through all of our questions! As I sat down last night to come up with some more questions I decided I would share them with you and encourage you to adopt this new family tradition. I hope your family will enjoy it as much as mine has.

I really enjoy hearing my kids answering these questions and feel like it is a great way to get to know more about them and the way they look at certain things. Even my 2 year old loves it. He picks a question and then pretends like he's reading it to us. We ask him the questions as well and he thinks about them and then usually answers with "cake" or "Spiderman" no matter what the question is and we all laugh. It's great! 

Coming up with the questions it the hard part, so I went ahead and did it for you. I compiled a total of 108 questions. All you have to do is print these and cut them out. Put them in a cute box, vase, mason jar, or cookie jar on your table and enjoy! I also included several fun printable cards that you can choose from to print and decorate your jar or box with:

 




I made up as many questions as I could think of on my own and added some from some great resources online, like Focus on the Family which I love (I recommend their magazine, it's amazing). Here are the links to the resources I used. I also included links to some other amazing blogs you should check out which posted on this topic and provided free printables as well:

The Dating Divas: Hot Topics - Visit this post for another free printable with more questions!
Focus on the Family: Mealtime Questions
Minds in Bloom: 20 Questions for Kids
Kids Activity Blog: Family Conversation Starters - Love this site!
 
Here are some great resources with questions for kids that are a little older: 

Balancing Beauty and Bedlam: Conversation Starter Questions - Visit this post for another great free printable, lots of questions and decorative labels too!
Family Education: Family Time
Aha Parenting: Family Discussions

2 comments:

  1. Thus is great! I'm not surprised as usual :)
    I Pinned it, I shared it, and I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you like it and I appreciate you always taking the time to read my posts and comment on them!

    ReplyDelete